Do I Need a Permit?

Many projects require some type of permit so it is important to contact the Building Department before beginning any construction work.  Projects started without a permit will be stopped and are subject to normal permit fees in addition to civil fines and inspection costs.

CLYDE HILL BUSINESS LICENSE:  All contractors and service providers must obtain a Clyde Hill Business License prior to beginning work in the City.  Add a Clyde Hill City endorsement to your business license through the Department of Revenue's website:

Projects that Require Permits:

The City issues the following kinds of permits; building, mechanical, storm drainage and detention systems, demolitions, grading, working in the right-of-way and driveway replacement.  You can apply online by registering on our Citizens Connect portal for any of the building or mechanical permits listed below.

Building Permits

A building permit is required for any type of structural work, including:

  • Most remodels and alterations
  • All additions
  • Re-roof
  • Replacement of doors or windows
  • Decks
  • Swimming pools, hot tubs and spas
  • Wall-board repair and replacement
  • Retaining walls over 4 feet in height
  • Accessory buildings such as gazebos, sheds and pool houses
  • Most arbors and trellises
  • Most water features and fountains
  • Storage Pod

Mechanical Permits

A mechanical permit is required for installing or replacing mechanical items such as:

  • Furnaces
  • Water heaters
  • Ranges and indoor barbeques
  • Fireplaces inserts and log lighters
  • Fans and vents
  • Air conditioners and heat pumps
  • Hydronic heating systems

Construction Stormwater General Permits (CSWGP)

Construction Stormwater General Permits (CSWGP)

Do I need coverage?

Many construction sites will need to apply for coverage under the CSWGP. Construction site operators are required to be covered if both of these apply:

  1. Your construction project disturbs land* through clearing, grading, excavating, or stockpiling of fill material.
    • Sites that disturb one acre or more.
    • Sites that are smaller than one acre that are part of a larger common plan of development that will ultimately disturb one acre or more and discharge stormwater to surface waters must apply for a permit.
    • Sites of any size discharging stormwater to state waters (Waters of the State) that we determine to be a significant contributor of pollutants.
    • Sites of any size that we reasonably expect to cause a violation of any water quality standard.
  2. There is any possibility that during construction, stormwater could run off your site or enter a conveyance system that leads to surface waters. In almost every case it does. If the location of your site poses no possibility that rainfall or snowmelt could leave the site or enter a waterway, you do not need a permit.

*Count the cumulative acreage of the whole project, whether it's single or multiphase. Include off-site disturbance acreage from support activities related to the construction site. This applies if your project is a portion (less than one acre) of a larger project planned over time.

The following types of permits or reviews may be required, but are handled by the agencies indicated.

Electrical Permits

Electrical permits are issued and inspected by the Department of Labor and Industries.
State of Washington Department of Labor and Industries
616 120th Avenue NE, Suite C201
Bellevue, WA 98005

Plumbing and Gas Piping Permits

Plumbing and gas piping permits are issued and inspected by the Seattle-King County
Department of Public Health
Seattle - King County Department of Public Health
Environmental Health Services
401 - 5th Ave, Suite 1100
Seattle, WA 98104

King County Plumbing and Gas Permit Application Information

You must obtain a mechanical permit through the City of Clyde Hill for gas appliance hookups; including gas cooktops, gas hot water heaters, gas furnaces, air conditioning units attached to gas furnaces, fireplace gas inserts or starters and gas BBQ connectors.

Sanitary Sewer, Water Connections and Fire Sprinklers

The City of Bellevue provides water, sewer and fire service to the City of Clyde Hill.  These types of permits are issued and inspected by the City of Bellevue. 

Many new homes and substantially remodeled homes require fire sprinkler systems. The determination of whether or not a sprinkler system is required for your project is made by the City of Bellevue Fire Department.

Prior to your submission to the City of Clyde Hill for a building permit you must have a fire sprinkler determination for your project.  Take two copies of your building plans to the City of Bellevue Fire Department.  They will review the plans and stamp them; the stamp will indicate whether a sprinkler system is required or not.  These same two copies of the stamped plans should then be submitted to the City of Clyde Hill for the Building Department review.

Asbestos Removal

Asbestos removal is coordinated by the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency:


Projects for which a Building Permit is not required:

  • One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet, are ten (10) feet from the side and rear yard setbacks, and meets the accessory structure regulations of the Clyde Hill Municipal Code.
  • Fences not over 6 feet high. This exemption shall not apply to structures designed or used for sound attenuation purposes.
  • Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II or IIIA liquids.
  • Sidewalks and driveways not more than 30 inches above adjacent grade, and not over any basement or story below and are not part of an accessible route.Temporary motion picture, television and theater stage sets and scenery limited to thirty (30) days.
  • Swings and other playground equipment accessory to single family dwellings, not affecting the structural coverage allowance of the lot and meets the accessory structure regulations of the Clyde Hill Municipal Code.
  • Painting, papering, tiling, cabinets, counter tops, carpeting and other similar finish work for which inspection to verify code compliance is not required unless these items are part of a larger project that requires a building permit.
  • Pre-fabricated swimming pools located above grade that contain water not over 24 inches in depth.
  • Non-fixed and moveable cases, racks, counters and partitions not over five feet, nine inches (5'9") in height, unless these items are part of a larger project that requires a building permit.

Projects for which a Mechanical Permit is not required:

  • Portable heating, cooking, or clothes drying appliances.
  • Portable ventilation equipment.
  • Portable cooling unit.
  • Steam, hot or chilled water piping within any heating or cooling equipment regulated by this code.
  • Replacement of any part which does not alter its approval or make it unsafe.
  • Portable evaporative cooler.
  • Self-contained refrigeration system containing 10 pounds (4.54 kg) or less of refrigerant and actuated by motors of 1 horsepower (746 W) or less.
  • Portable fuel cell appliances that are not connected to a fixed piping system and are not interconnected.

Projects for which a Plumbing Permit is not required:

  • The stopping and/or repairing of leaks in drains, water, soil, waste or vent pipe provided, however, that should any concealed trap, drain pipe, water, soil, waste or vent pipe become defective and it becomes necessary to remove and replace the same with new material, the same shall be considered as new work and a permit shall be procured and inspection made as provided in this code.
  • The clearing of stoppages.
  • Reinstallation or replacement of pre-fabricated fixtures that do not involve or require the replacement or rearrangement of valves or pipes.

Emergency Repairs

Where equipment replacements and equipment repairs must be performed in an emergency situation, the permit application shall be submitted within the next working business day to the building official.


Application or notice to the building official is not required for ordinary repairs to structures, replacement of lamps or the connection of approved portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles. Such repairs shall not include the cutting away of any wall, partition or portion thereof, the removal or cutting of any structural beam or load bearing support, or the removal or change of any required means of egress, or rearrangement of parts of a structure affecting the egress requirements; nor shall ordinary repairs include addition to, alternation of, replacement or relocation of any, water supply, sewer, drainage, drain leader, gas, soil, waste, vent or similar piping, electric wiring or mechanical or other work affecting public health or general safety.