Working in the Right-of-Way

Most work and many activities that take place in the street or right-of-way require a permit.  You can apply online by registering on our Citizens Connect portal for any of the permits listed below.

Street Opening Permit

A Street Opening Permit is required if you plan to do any work in the public street or right-of-way.  A street opening permit is required for any utility connection: water, gas, electricity, sanitary and storm sewer and cable.  For details, refer to CHMC Chapter 12.08.


Public Place Use Permit

A Public Place Use (PPU) Permit is required for any activity (short term or permanent) that takes place in the right-of-way other than those already covered by a Street Opening Permit. Some examples include: events such as block parties or races and City-approved landscaping in the right-of-way.  For details, refer to CHMC Chapter 12.14.

Short-Term PPU Permit Application
Long-Term PPU Permit Application


Driveway Permit

A Driveway Permit is required if you plan to replace or change your driveway. The City wants to verify that your driveway has adequate drainage (so as not to overflow into homes) and that the portion of your driveway abutting the City right-of-way is designed such that repairs to underground services and repair or overlaying of the City streets is possible with minimal intrusion. For details, refer to CHMC Chapter 12.14.100.


Over-Length Vehicles

No vehicle over 40 feet in length is allowed in the City without a permit. Over-length permits are provided only for loads that cannot reasonably be dismantled or disassembled to fit onto a smaller truck. Over-length vehicles without a permit will be subject to a traffic infraction. For details, refer to CHMC Chapter 10.48.
Click here for an over-length vehicle permit application form.